Without a doubt, Nicki Minaj is one of the largest female rap stars in the world. With this kind of popularity though comes an unveiling of a lot of her personal life. Think what you will of her music, however her story is one riddled with a lot of pain, sorrow, but also triumph. Below is an assortment of info that you might not know about her and those tiny details.
- Nicki’s birthplace – Born in Saint James, Trinidad and Tobago, she was raised by her grandmother before moving to New York at the age of five.
- Her desire to kill her father – Her father was both abusive and addicted to drugs. Often times he would sell furniture specifically for drug money. There was also a time where he tried to kill Nicki’s mother through setting the house on fire.
- The single tattoo – Believe it or not, Nicki only has one tattoo on her body. It is located on her arm with the words “God is always with you” written in Chinese. She was 16 and regrets the decision of having it.
- Nicki Minaj is the first solo female artist that has seven singles on a US Hot 100 Chart at the same time – The other entires on include songs like Ludacris’ ‘My Chick Bad,’ Trey Songz’ ‘Bottomos Up,’ and more.
- She didn’t enjoy recording ‘Pink Friday’ – In an interview with Vibe in 2012, Nicki stated she wanted to prove on ‘Pink Friday’ that a female rapper could make a great album without the need to talk about their p**sy in it.
- Her experience in guest features – Guest features in songs helped Nicki get back on her feet after ‘Pink Friday’, however Nicki also has had guest features in the past, appearing in songs like Kanye’s ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’ and others.
- She’s got a longtime boyfriend – His name is Safaree “SB” Samuels and he plays the roles of assistant, hype man, and her best friend.
- The song ‘Super Bass’ – What really helped Nicki explode was the fact her song ‘Super Bass’ was covered by so many people. From among them there was Taylor Swift as well as Selena Gomez.
- She actually hates her stage name – Nicki Minaj is her stage name, but she hates it. How she got that name stemmed from the first production deal she signed. The man wanted the name Minaj for her, but she fought against it hard. She eventually was persuaded, no doubt after a slight compromise, and now is stuck with the stage name Nicki Minaj.
- Young Life – Since Nicki was raised in a pretty bad household, it’s not too surprising that Nicki escaped to her room several times. When she was younger she had an alter ego named “Cookie” who she used to escape her fighting parents. She also read a lot of books when she was younger. With stories of big houses filled with nice stuff, she deeply wished that could be her family.
Nicki has led an interesting life. Sad, yes, however it’s all paid off quite well in where she is at right now in life. What sort of facts surprised you the most? Let’s hear your thoughts below!